Cigna Virtual Health® FAQs
Cigna Virtual Health® helps you on your journey to better health. Our app offers access to expert advice and support at your fingertips, so you can manage your health on the go.
These FAQs tell you everything you need to know about the main app features. Simply click on the headings below to read more.
- What does Cigna Virtual Health® offer?
- Our health and wellbeing app, Cigna Virtual Health®, helps you on your journey to better health. You can enjoy access to expert advice and support at your fingertips, to help you manage your health on the go. The virtual health team includes: My Virtual GP, My Pharmacist, My Health Mate, My Nutritionist, My Health Librarian and My Health Techie.
- Who can use Cigna Virtual Health®?
- Cigna Virtual Health® is an optional buy up for employers who select our healthcare or dental plans. Even if you're not covered on one of our healthcare or dental plans, your employer may have arranged Cigna Virtual Health® access for you. You need to be 18 or over to access it. Your employer will be able to advise if you and your family members have access and can provide further details.
- What devices can Cigna Virtual Health® be downloaded to?
- The app can be used on iOS and Android devices.
- What is My Virtual GP?
- If you feel unwell, you can check your symptoms with the app's 'Symptom Checker' to identify a possible condition or simply put your mind at rest.
- If you do need to see a doctor, My Virtual GP brings you fast and convenient access on your mobile phone. This service is delivered through the Cigna Virtual Health® app by our service provider Dr Now. A Virtual GP consultation can be scheduled via the app instead of visiting a GP surgery. An experienced UK based GP will consult with you through a video call at a scheduled appointment time.
- Your appointment will be similar to a regular GP visit. You will be asked questions about your symptoms, including how long you have experienced them. The Virtual GP can assess you and prescribe medication if needed – all through the power of virtual technology from the comfort of your own home or office.
- Who is Dr Now?
- Our Virtual GP service is provided by Dr Now, part of the Now Healthcare Group. Now Healthcare Group offers virtual GP and pharmacy services to more than one million people. Dr Now is a digital diagnostic platform that allows patients to connect to registered NHS GPs via smartphone video consultation.
- How do I prepare for My Virtual GP appointment?
You must be logged into Cigna Virtual Health® to have your video consultation. If you added your appointment time to your device’s calendar when you arranged it, you’ll receive a notification in advance to remind you about your appointment and to prompt you to log into Cigna Virtual Health®. To ensure you don’t miss your scheduled appointment time, make sure you’re logged into the app and give yourself plenty of time to get ready for your consultation, in an area with a good Wi-Fi or mobile data connection.
- Who can have access to the Virtual GP service?
- Any employee whose employer has arranged access to the app. Family members with Cigna healthcare or dental plan cover may also use the Virtual GP service if agreed by the employer. Please note that for children under 18, a parent will need to book an appointment on their behalf.
How do I use My Virtual GP on my smartphone?
- You'll need to log into Cigna Virtual Health® (available on Android and iOS) and select My Virtual GP from your virtual health team. You can then select the 'Virtual GP Appointment' option. Appointments can be arranged between 6am and 11pm, 7 days a week.
- How many Virtual GP consultations does the app offer me?
- Your employer may have arranged a number of free Virtual GP consultations. You can find this out by accessing My Virtual GP and selecting 'Virtual GP Appointment'.
- How soon can I get an appointment?
- As soon as your plan is active you can use this app, including the Virtual GP service, unless otherwise arranged by your employer. There are a number of slots available at any time, ranging from half an hour to one week in advance. All appointments last for up to 8 minutes.
- Will I be able to choose a GP or select a GP I know on My Virtual GP?
- You can select your preferred GP, either a male or female doctor, from the list provided in the app every time you log in. Your own GP may not be signed up to this service.
- Is there any limit to how long the Virtual GP consultation can last or how many queries I can bring up during one call?
- Yes there is a time limit of 8 minutes. This is in line with NHS appointment times. The GP will let you know when it's approaching the end of the scheduled appointment time. If you need more time, a further 8 minute appointment can be arranged by booking another consultation.
- What happens if I miss an appointment? Will this count as one of my free consultations?
- If free consultations have been agreed with your employer then yes, this would count as one of your free consultations. You have the ability to cancel your appointment up to 3 hours before the scheduled time. If you don't cancel in time, this will be classed as a missed appointment.
- Do I need to make a claim for the free consultations?
- You don't need to make a claim on your healthcare plan to use the free Virtual GP consultations.
- What is the cost of arranging a consultation via the app after I have used all my free consultations?
- The app offers the option to 'pay as you go'. The cost will vary depending on what has been agreed with your employer. You can find this out by accessing My Virtual GP and selecting 'Virtual GP Appointment'.
- If no free consultations have been allocated, can I still arrange a Virtual GP consultation?
- Yes, the app offers the option to 'pay as you go'. The cost will vary depending on what has been agreed with your employer. You can find this out by accessing My Virtual GP and selecting 'Virtual GP Appointment'.
If a virtual GP recommends I need to see a specialist, what should I do next?
The referral letter will be sent to you by email. If you're a Cigna healthcare plan member, you should refer to your plan documents to understand the benefit limits, and terms and conditions. These are available on your member portal at www.cigna.co.uk/members. You'll need authorisation before you start treatment so please call your Cigna helpline number or click ‘contact us’ at the bottom of your screen on Cigna Virtual Health®. The team is on hand to help you 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am - 12 noon on Saturday. If you don't have a Cigna healthcare plan, you should either contact your own healthcare plan provider or visit your own GP. You also have the option to take the referral letter to a private hospital and self-pay for your care.
- Can the app be used for medical emergencies?
- No – for all emergencies you should dial 999, the official emergency telephone number for urgent assistance.
- Alternatively, you can contact your own GP or dial 111, which is the NHS non-emergency number. It's available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- What are some common conditions that can be treated over virtual consultations?
- Common conditions include allergies, urinary tract infections, cold and flu symptoms, and any other non-emergency illnesses.
- What if I need bloods, urinalysis etc. for diagnosis?
- My Virtual GP does not currently offer this service. If you book a Virtual GP appointment and the Virtual GP recommends tests, you will be referred to your own GP to arrange this.
- Will the Virtual GP be able to give me a Fit Note for work?
- Not at this time, please visit your own GP,
- Will the Virtual GP be able to send me a referral letter for a consultant?
- Yes. The referral letter will be sent to you by email. Please remember to click on 'contact us' at the bottom of the screen for authorisation before going ahead with any further consultations or treatment.
Are there any second opinion services available to me?
- If you're a Cigna healthcare plan member, your employer may have arranged a second opinion service for a cancer diagnosis and/or cancer treatment plan. You can access more information in the My Virtual GP section.
- Will my personal information be shared?
- No, however if you want to book a virtual consultation, you have the option to enter your GP details or any medical history and allergies that you think may be relevant for your consultation.
- Where are the medical records stored?
- The records are held in a secure encrypted environment, with access restricted to the Clinical Director of the Virtual GP service only. This data is only accessible if there is a legitimate detailed reason.
- Will personal information be shared with my employer or Cigna?
- We value your privacy. Any personal information will not be shared with your employer or with Cigna. The personal information provided simply helps to build a user profile and to shape health coaching programmes that match your needs.
I have forgotten my Cigna Identification number/password for the app, what do I do?
- If you have a Cigna healthcare or dental plan remember it's the same Cigna ID and password to sign into your member portal. You can also recover your Cigna Identification number and retrieve your password on the sign in screen of the app.
- What is My Pharmacist?
- Prescription medicines from My Virtual GP are delivered to a location of your choice at home or work for your convenience. Alternatively, you can select to have an e-prescription sent to a pharmacy of your choice and collect the medicine yourself. There's also a useful tool to help you locate a nearby pharmacy should you need one.
- How do I get prescription medicine?
- If the Virtual GP prescribes medication during a video consultation, the prescription will be shown on your Cigna Virtual Health® app following your consultation. You must ensure that Cigna has the correct address on file for you as this will be the address on the prescription. You can select an active prescription in the app by tapping on the 'Prescriptions' option on the menu and then tapping 'Active Prescriptions'. You can select the prescription and then choose if you want your prescription medicine delivered to you or if you prefer to collect it yourself from a local pharmacy. You can select the option that suits you best and insert either your delivery address or the pharmacy address and make the appropriate payment.
- How much does it cost?
- What you pay depends on how you choose to access your prescription medicines.
- If you choose to have your medicines delivered to you at home or work, you pay a delivery cost plus the cost of the prescribed medicines. Regardless of your location you have to pay for the prescribed medicines and this cost will vary. You will be made aware of the costs for the delivery and the medicines. In the London area a higher fee for same day delivery may be applicable.
- If you choose for an electronic prescription to be sent to your selected participating pharmacy, you will pay £5 for the provision of the prescription. Regardless of where you are in the UK, Dr Now provides private prescriptions and you will pay the private cost for your medication to the pharmacy at the point of collection. The cost will depend on the type of medicine you need.
- What if the pharmacy I selected does not accept electronic prescriptions?
- If this happens, the pharmacy will quickly contact Dr Now to advise them. Dr Now will then contact you to help you resolve this.
- Can I order repeat prescriptions?
- You will not be able to get a repeat prescription without first having another Virtual GP consultation.
- Which pharmacies accept electronic prescriptions?
- A growing number of pharmacies are signed up to the service. And the pharmacy finder tool will help you locate pharmacies that accept electronic prescriptions.
- Do you deliver prescriptions to my area?
- Prescriptions can be delivered same day in London and next day in the rest of the UK, except in remote areas which may take slightly longer depending on routes.
- What pharmacies will accept Virtual GP prescriptions?
- Most pharmacies accept virtual prescriptions. You will be contacted immediately if there are any issues.
- What does My Health Librarian offer?
- You can access a wide range of health and well-being topics that interest you the most such as sleep and stress.
- What does My Health Mate offer?
- You can enjoy access to personalised coaching to help you improve and maintain a healthy lifestyle. You can access the results of your initial lifestyle assessment and view your areas of focus. There's a useful biometric section for you to input and save your key health numbers including; blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar levels and BMI. You can also access a comprehensive health and wellbeing assessment to find out which areas of health you are doing really well in and which need attention.
- How can coaching programmes help me?
- There are a variety of coaching programmes that can help you make important lifestyle changes starting today. You can choose fitness programmes such as Fitness HeadSmart, Point Plank, Top to Bottom and Fit Travel to help you get in shape. In terms of nutrition, you can take part in a Hydration programme which will help you stay hydrated, kick the sugar habit with Sugar Shakedown, and eat healthier with the Colourful Eats programme.
- To tap into your inner self, you can try Mindfulness Practice and Pep Talk, or you can check out Love Yourself, to help increase your confidence with daily activities focused on self-acceptance.
- How do I join a coaching programme?
- Coaching programmes are easily accessible from Cigna Virtual Health® through My Health Mate. You can join the programmes that interest you to help you meet your health, nutrition and fitness goals.
- What does My Nutritionist offer?
- You can evaluate your nutrition habits and access helpful tips and recipes for healthier eating.
- What does My Health Techie offer?
- You can sync a fitness tracker to track your activity.
- Which fitness trackers are compatible with Cigna Virtual Health®?
- Several fitness trackers are now compatible with Cigna Virtual Health® including Fitbit and Garmin.
Find out more about Cigna Virtual Health®
Watch our video to find out how our health and well-being app can help you on your journey to better health.
Access your member portal
If you have a Cigna medical or dental plan, you can login to your dedicated member portal to access information about your plan and view your claims